For the Potomac Yard Metrorail Station EIS, a No Build Alternative and three build alternatives are being evaluated.
No Build Alternative
The No Build Alternative consists of the existing transportation network and all committed improvement projects in the region's long-range transportation plans, including:
• 2010 Financially Constrained Long Range Transportation Plan for the National Capital Region (CLRP)
• FY 2011-2016 Transportation Improvement Program for the Washington Metropolitan Region (TIP)
• City of Alexandria FY 2010-2015 Capital Improvement Program
• Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority FY 2011-2016 Capital Improvement Program
Improvements in the No Build Alternative include:
• The Crystal City/Potomac Yard Transitway
• Transit service improvements for pedestrians
• Bus shelter replacement
• ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) access at bus stops
• Sidewalk, curb, and gutter program
• On-street pedestrian and bicycle safety enhancements
Metrorail Station Build Alternatives:
Click the icon above to see a full-size map.
Alternative A would be located between the CSXT Railroad tracks and the north end of the Potomac Greens neighborhood, in the “Metrorail Reservation” identified during earlier planning efforts for Potomac Yard. The station would be at-grade, with a side platform layout. Additional station facilities would include two pedestrian bridges from the station over the CSXT right-of-way to the planned development in Potomac Yard, and pedestrian access to the Potomac Greens and Old Town Greens neighborhoods.
Alternative B would be located between the George Washington Memorial Parkway and the CSXT Railroad, north of the Potomac Greens neighborhood, and east of the existing Potomac Yard Retail Center and the CSXT right-of-way. The station would be at-grade, with a side platform layout. Additional station facilities would include two pedestrian bridges from the station over the CSXT right-of-way to the planned development in Potomac Yard, and a pedestrian bridge over the proposed Metrorail alignment to provide access to the Potomac Greens and Old Town Greens neighborhoods.
Alternative D would be located just west of the CSXT right-of-way, in the vicinity of the existing Potomac Yard Retail Center. The station would be aerial, with a center platform layout. One pedestrian bridge over the CSXT right-of-way, to be constructed separately from the station, would connect the neighborhoods of Potomac Greens and Old Town Greens to Potomac Avenue at East Glebe Road. The pedestrian bridge would parallel the adjacent, yet separate, Metrorail aerial structure.
The Potomac Yard Metrorail Station EIS team wants to hear from you! If you have questions, suggestions, or comments — or if you would like to be added to the project e-mail list — please contact us at: